Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tried It Liked It Tuesday: The most amazing brussel sprouts ever!

These are good. Reeeeal good. I'm pretty sure I could eat them every single night. Yes, brussel sprouts. I didn't like this veggie until about a year ago. I just had to figure out how to prepare them and now I love them. Give them a try. Really, I think you'll love them, too!


Roasted Brussel Sprouts
adapted from Cookie + Kate

Ingredients
1 lb brussel sprouts, rinsed, tips cut off, halved
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
1/3 cup feta
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup


Instructions
 
Preheat your broiler.
 
Set a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat on the stove. Let it heat up for about 2-3 minutes.
 
In a medium bowl, toss the prepared brussels sprouts with about 1 tbsp olive oil and salt. Toss well, so that the sprouts are evenly coated in a thin layer of oil.
 
Put the sprouts into the pan and rearrange them so the flat sides are face down. Let them cook for about two minutes.
 
Toss the cranberries into the pan and transfer the pan to your broiler. The pan will be heavy and hot so use oven mitts for both hands (trust me, I burned my fingers when I forgot this little tidbit).
 
Let the brussel sprouts broil for about 3-5  minutes. The tops of the sprouts should be browned and the bottoms carmelized. Remove from oven, again using oven mitts.
 
Toss the brussel sprouts, cranberries, chopped pecans, and feta in a medium sized bowl. Season with salt.
 
 
 
 

I've made this several times and no two times have been alike. I've used cherries instead of cranberries, walnuts instead of pecans, and no nuts since we were out. I plan on trying this with gorgonzola soon!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment