Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pizza on a pita

One of the things I love about living in a city is all of the diversity at my fingertips. Not too far from our place there's a bunch of small market stores that sell tons of produce from all over the world. I've never seen some of these fruits and veggies before. It's a cool experience and I've started to get to know several of the workers there. I love when I can make connections in a big city.

Now, I didn't use any of these weird veggies on the recipe I'm about to share with you, but I did find one of the main ingredients I needed at this little store. One of my girlfriends had mentioned to me that she's bought pitas at one of these stores before and used them for pizza crust. Great idea! So I tried out for the first time the other day.

I bought large, thin whole wheat pitas. I think there's about 10 in each packet. When I got home, I looked to see which ingredients I had that would taste good on a pizza. I ended up having a pepper and onion pizza with cheddar cheese on top. Yum!


Pita Pizza 

Ingredients:
2 pitas (just me and the husband)
5-6 tbsp tomato or marinara sauce
1 cup freshly grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella would work well)
chopped onions
chopped peppers
seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, oregano, italian seasoning...you choose)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Chop up your veggies. I chose to saute mine for a couple of minutes in olive oil. This is optional.



Next, take your pita bread and place it on a cookie sheet. I put tin foil underneath for easy clean up.



Spread on 2-3 tbsps per pita.



Sprinkle on the cheese, about 1/2 cup per pita. I also had sprinkled on some freshly chopped oregano before I added the cheese. 


Add the toppings.


And bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Take out and let cool for 5 minutes.



I also think this would be great for families where each member gets to his pizza to his liking. I plan on doing this one day! Enjoy!

Click here to visit the other blogs where I'm sharing this tasty recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment